25 Jan 2013
This February I'm going to New Zealand! My boyfriend (who is from Auckland) and I are leaving in about 3 weeks, and I'm beginning to get very excited. I really can't wait to meet his family, and see where he grew up. We will be in NZ for 3 weeks, travelling around, eating, relaxing and going on adventures. This will be my first real break in 3 years, I truly can't wait!
You'll think I'm mad, but I'm already getting myself prepared for the flights. What can I say? It's the Monica in me. Having never been on a flight longer than 3 hours, I've not had to be that organised, so I'm thinking ahead. I was on Lisa Eldridge's website the other day, and I found an excellent video with her beauty regime for long-haul flights.
I made a Polyvore collage of all the things I want to take (above), it seems like a lot, but actually excluding what I'll be wearing it shouldn't be too bulky. Here we go:
1. Beauty. Bioderma cleanser, to remove my make-up once I get on the plane. Dermalogica face mask, to keep my skin fresh and full of moisture during the flight. Elizabeth Arden 8 hour moisturiser, for my hands, lips, body and face. Caudalie lip balm & beauty elixir. A sleeping mask - my Mum bought me a lovely silk one with lavender in the eye pads, and it's shaped like an owl! My little Kent brush for keeping my hair tidy. I've managed to find everything in bottles under 100ml, and they should be fine in a ziplock bag.
2. Clothes. When we leave the UK it will still be winter, but when we land in NZ it will be summer, so I think layers are the way to go! I always wear a little vest, I really like the Topshop Boutique ones with cashmere. Some really pretty underwear. A loose knit, made from something soft like cashmere, I really want to be as comfy as possible! Slim jeans or trousers, but nothing too clingy. A jacket or short coat, to wear in the UK, or if I get chilly. I've been after the Isabel Marant one in the pic for I don't know how long!
3. Accessories. A long, light-weight scarf. I have a fine wool one from The White Company, which is big enough to double as a blanket. A felt hat, to wear at the airport on our lay-over when my hair gets all lifeless. Flat shoes, like those Chloe ones, so they are easy to take on and off through airport security. Last time I flew I had lace up boots on and it wasn't very much fun! Some fine rings and other jewellery to layer up. I've just got some thin stacking rings which I love! A fairly big slouchy handbag to take on the plane. A pouch for my make up. Sunglasses! Fingers crossed the sun shines when we arrive!
4. In-flight entertainment! My notebook to scribble in. Haribo, my sugary weakness! I'll drink plenty of water too, but I don't think you can take that on board, right? We'll probably take my boyfriend's Kindle and I'll have whatever book I'm reading with me too. Hopefully they will play some good movies to keep us entertained.
5. Make up. I'm leaving it pretty simple as I don't want to lug around too much, or clog up my skin. Concealer, eyelash curler, mascara and a Body Shop lip stain are my current favourites.
Any tips from people who have been on a lot of long flights? It's 2 flights, a total of about 27 hours travel time, and I'm a rookie :)
To check out all the items in the collage just click on the image and it will take you to my Polyvore account, where there is a full list!